PROTECT WHAT YOU LOVE FROM PLASTIC POLLUTION
Sign Our Petition to Minimize Impacts from Single-Use Plastic Beverage Bottles
Despite our ongoing efforts, the plastic problem is worsening. More action is urgently needed to protect both public health and our environment. We’ve launched an aggressive plastic pollution campaign to reduce the impact of six plastic pollutants.
THE SINISTER SIX
ELIMINATE SINGLE-SERVE PLASTIC BEVERAGE BOTTLE POLLUTION
We’re petitioning our local legislators to pass a mandate that all single-serve beverages 24 ounces or less be sold only in BPA/BPS free aluminum or glass containers in order to reduce plastic bottle pollution in our region and beyond.
ELIMINATE SINGLE-USE TOILETRY BOTTLES
PREVENT MICROFIBER POLLUTION
STOP THE FLUSHING OF CONTACT LENSES
The standard water treatment facility can’t break down contact lenses. We aim to prevent them from going down the drain by instilling legislation which requires manufacturers develop a take-back program.
PREVENT THE SALE OF BALLOONS
Balloons are produced with fossil fuel, turn to litter within hours, sully our beaches, get in our ocean, and are ingested by wildlife. In response to this issue, we’re advocating for a ban on the sale of balloons.
HELP US TAKE ON THESE PLASTIC POLLUTANTS
We need your help to successfully protect your Monterey Bay from this crisis. There are several ways in which you can help us progress in our campaign:
DONATE TO OUR CAUSE
Your financial support will help us continue to advocate for smart plastic pollution mitigation politics and help fund our 300+ annual cleanups. You can mail a check or donate online today! We’re putting your donation into action through:
- Organization of public comment at City Council and Board of Supervisor meetings
- Signature collections and petitions
- Informational campaigns via online, print, and social media
- Dozens of outreach/education events
- Production of promotional posters and mailers
- Letter-writing campaigns
- Ongoing public beach cleanups to prevent plastic from entering the Bay
REDUCE YOUR PLASTIC USE
Simple awareness and daily actions can have a large impact on the amount of plastic waste created. Avoid using plastic when possible and reduce and reuse when not! Each one of us can make a difference on a daily basis.
Don’t know where to start? Watch this short informative video and use this simple infographic to help you find simple things we each can do to tackle this issue! Every one of us can do our part to reduce plastic pollution.
The plastic pollution dilemma is a very complex issue. It’s important for each of us to stay informed on the origin of this problem, what actions are, or are not, taking place, and the science behind how plastics are negatively impacting us and the environment. Here are a few articles that cover various aspects of the plastic pollution situation:
- Our plastic pollution is too big for recycling to fix. – The Guardian
- Conflicts in Chemistry- The Case of Plastics – Science History Institute
- How long does it take for plastics to biodegrade? – howstuffworks
- War On Plastic – Voices of Monterey Bay
- Impact of plastic on human health and ecosystems. – News-Medical
- Trash in world’s ocean threatens wildlife, economy and human health, UN warns – UN News
- As Costs Skyrocket, More U.S. Cities Stop Recycling – The New York Times