SAVE OUR SHORES 2021 WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND EXPRESS ASSUMPTION OF RISK
(Please read carefully)
I agree as follows:
1. I am volunteering my services to participate in the following event sponsored by Save Our Shores at (location) _ _______________________ on (date of event) on a voluntary basis without anticipation of payment of any kind;
2. I know of no physical limitation which would keep me from undertaking the activities associated with this event. I will only perform assigned tasks that are within my physical capacity to the best of my ability, and I will not undertake tasks that are beyond my ability;
3. I understand that I will be instructed in the safe operation and use of any necessary equipment and tools related to this volunteer activity, and I will not undertake to use any equipment and/or tools with which I am unfamiliar or do not know how to operate safely. Further, I understand that I am not to use any supplies, tools, and/or equipment that is not provided by Save Our Shores and/or event co-sponsors;
4. I understand that I will receive appropriate instructions regarding this event, including appropriate safety and emergency procedures, and that it is my responsibility to fully understand those instructions before participating in the event;
5. I will perform only those tasks assigned, observe all safety rules, and use care in the performance of my assignments;
6. I specifically acknowledge that I am engaging in this activity as a volunteer, at my own request and risk, and not as an employee of Save Our Shores or event co-sponsors and/or organizers, or as an agent, official, officer, or representative of Save Our Shores or event co-sponsors, and/or organizers and I further acknowledge that I am not entitled to any compensation, benefit, or insurance coverage from Save Our Shores, County of Santa Cruz Parks, California State Parks, City of Santa Cruz, Watsonville, Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Seaside, Marina, Sand City, or Half Moon Bay, County of Santa Cruz, Monterey, or San Mateo, or event co-sponsors and/or organizers, nor any of their respective employees, officers, agents, or assigns (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Released Parties”), nor will I make any such claim.
I understand that cleaning up beaches, waterways, and waterfront areas involves certain inherent risks, including but not limited to, the risks of possible injury, infection, exposure to infectious diseases, or loss of life as a result of contact with needles, condoms, metal objects, burning embers, or other hazardous materials found on the beach, drowning, over-exertion, environmental conditions, or loss of life. Despite these risks, I choose to proceed in such activity.
If I, or any of the minors listed below, should become injured while participating in the event, I do hereby authorize and consent to any x-ray examination, anesthetic, medical, or surgical or dental diagnosis or treatment and hospital care are considered necessary in the best judgement of the attending physician, surgeon, or dentist and performed by or under the supervision of the medical staff of the hospital or facility furnishing medical or dental services. I do hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless Save Our Shores (including its officers, directors, members, and/or volunteers), and Released Parties, from any claim by any person whomsoever on account of such care and treatment. Further, it is understood that the undersigned will assume full responsibility for any such action, including payment and costs.
As consideration for volunteering for Save Our Shores, I hereby agree that I, and my assignees, heirs, guardians, and legal representatives, will not make a claim against or sue Save Our Shores or its employees, agents, or contractors for injury or damage resulting from the negligence, whether active or passive, or other acts, however caused, by any of its officers, employees, agents, or contractors of Save Our Shores, including Released Parties, as a result of my volunteering. I hereby release and discharge Save Our Shores and its officers, employees, agents, and contractors, and all Released Parties, from all actions, claims, or demands that I, my heirs, guardians, and legal representatives now have, or may have in the future, for injury or damage resulting from my participation, or the participation of any of the minors listed below, in the event.
PARTICIPANTS MUST COMPLETE AND SIGN THE BACK OF THIS FORM.
FOR PARTICIPANTS UNDER 18, A PARENT (OR GUARDIAN) MUST SIGN THE BACK OF THIS FORM.
BY MY SIGNATURE BELOW, I CERTIFY THAT I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS AGREEMENT, AND ANY SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED TO ME, AND FULLY UNDERSTAND IT’S CONTENTS. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY, AND I SIGN IT OF MY OWN FREE WILL.
I CERTIFY THAT I AM THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN FOR ALL MINORS LISTED BELOW, AND THAT THIS RELEASE, IT’S SIGNIFICANCE, AND THE ASSUMPTION OF RISK HAVE ALL BEEN EXPLAINED AND ARE UNDERSTOOD BY MYSELF AND/OR THE MINOR LISTED BELOW.
I agree to allow my image, or the image of my child or legal charge, to be used in published materials and websites that promote the programs of Save Our Shores without compensation.
Signature of Participant/Signature of Legal Guardian of Participant Today’s Date
Parent/Legal Guardian Name:
(if participant is a minor)
City, State & Zip Code:
SAVE OUR SHORES 2021 COVID-19 WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND EXPRESS ASSUMPTION OF RISK
(Please read carefully)
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is reported to be extremely contagious. The state of medical knowledge is evolving, but the virus is believed to spread from person-to-person contact and/or by contact with contaminated surfaces and objects, and even possibly in the air. People reportedly can be infected and show no symptoms and therefore spread the disease. The exact methods of spread and contraction are unknown, and there is no known treatment, cure, or vaccine for COVID-19. Evidence has shown that COVID-19 can cause serious and potentially life-threatening illness and even death.
Save Our Shores cannot prevent you from becoming exposed to, contracting, or spreading COVID-19 while participating in its events. It is not possible to prevent against the presence of the disease. Therefore, if you choose to participate in any in-person event hosted by Save Our Shores, you may be exposing yourself to and/or increasing your risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19.
By participating in this event:
1) I attest that I am not experiencing any known symptoms COVID-19 such as a fever, cough, or shortness of breath. If I develop these symptoms, I agree that I will not attend any in-person event hosted by Save Our Shores.
2) I am aware that I must follow the following safety and hygiene protocols that have been implemented by Save Our Shores:
a) Maintain a social distance of 6ft from others at all times.
b) Wear a face mask or face covering at all times.
c) Avoid touching surfaces, and don’t touch your face.
d) Wash your hands as soon as possible with soap and warm water. Use hand sanitizer until it is possible to wash your hands with soap and water.
e) For beach, river, or inland cleanups:
i) Save Our Shores may not provide cleanup supplies, and participants may be required to use, and dispose of, their own supplies.
ii) Use of a disposable trash bag is recommended, the use of reusable buckets is not recommended.
iii) Gloves should be worn at all times. We recommend disposable gloves to prevent spreading germs. If you use reusable gloves, remove and wash them immediately. To remove gloves safely, pull glove off at your wrist and pull down toward your fingers to help turn the gloves inside out. Throw gloves away immediately after use.
iv) Do not pick up Personal Protective Equipment Unless you can do so safely with a grabber and separate disposable bag.
v) Data will be collected using the Save Our Shores Marine Tally mobile application to prevent the exchange of materials between event facilitators and participants.
3) I attest that:
a) I have not traveled internationally in the past 14 days
b) I have not traveled to a highly-impacted area within the United States in the past 14 days
c) I do not believe that I have been exposed to a person with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19
d) I have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 and not yet cleared as noncontagious by state or local public health authorities
e) I am following recommended guidelines as much as possible – practicing social distancing by participating in group activities of fewer than 10, trying to maintain separation of six feet from others, and otherwise limiting my exposure to the coronavirus.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK: I have carefully read and understood the above warning concerning COVID-19. I hereby choose to accept the risk of contracting COVID-19 in order to participate in this event. These services are of such value to me that I accept the risk of being exposed to, contracting, and/or spreading COVID-19 in order to participate in this Save Our Shores event.
Signature of Participant/Signature of Legal Guardian of Participant:
Parent/Legal Guardian Name (if participant is a minor):
City, State & Zip Code: