OUR OCEAN IS UNDER ATTACK
From climate change to plastic pollution and wildlife disturbance to habitat degradation, a host of threats challenge the wellbeing of your Monterey Bay. At Save Our Shores, we work hard every day to protect and conserve our precious local marine environment and address those threats. We inform and educate the public, foster the next generation of ocean stewards, promote smarter marine environmental policies, and motivate and catalyze citizen action on a daily basis.
HOW WARMING WATERS & RED TIDES AFFECT OUR OCEANS AND US
We had an amazing turnout to the first event in our Earth Day 50/2020 Speaker Series on Feb 5! Special thanks to Dream Inn and to our informative panelists:
• Julia O’Hern – Monterey Bay Operations Manager, The Marine Mammal Center
• Adam Ratner – Associate Director of Conservation Education, The Marine Mammal Center
• Lisa Uttal – Plankton Monitoring Network, Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
• Kasie Regnier – Director of Applied Water Science, Monterey Bay Aquarium
• Raphael Kudela – Professor of Ocean Science, University of California Santa Cruz
VIEW OUR 2020 WISHLIST!
Few gifts can match the pure joy of time spent enjoying our magnificent Monterey Bay. In the spirit of giving that promotes what we all cherish most, we’re releasing our 2020 wishlist. We invite you to honor the ocean lovers in your life by making one-time or monthly contributions in their name to support Save Our Shores’ vital work. LEARN MORE
GIVE BLUE TO…
- Inspire our whole community to work together
- Fund campaigns to end single-use plastics
- Keep our shores, rivers, and sloughs litter-free
- Bring transformative education to 1000’s of youth
- Take hundreds of kids to the beach for the first time
- Support climate awareness and action
- Save habitat for our otters, leatherbacks, elephant seals, and whales…
UPDATES AT SAVE OUR SHORES
Read our FALL 2019 Newsletter!
• Our 2019 Ocean Award Recipients
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Stay up to date with news, events, and opportunities at Save Our Shores by signing up for our email list. We’ll keep you informed and engaged on what’s happening in your Monterey Bay without flooding your inbox!
Celebrating the powerful impact of this year's Coastal Cleanup Day!
2,297 passionate volunteers collected more than 9,400 pounds of trash and over 1,700 pounds of recycling from 64 beaches, rivers, and inland areas across Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties! Thank you to all of our wonderful Site Captains and volunteers! This tremendous effort to keep our waterways clean could not have happened without you!
Congratulations to our 2019 WAVES & WILDLIFE Winners!
2019 1st Place—Carmel Pinnacles SMR by Jon Anderson
Dive #4 San Lorenzo River, May 30, 2019 (under the trestle bridge by the Boardwalk)—We picked this location because for three big reasons: 1) the accessibility; 2) the calm water; and 3) the expectation of trash.
Special thanks to Chris Renfer of Critical Reels for creating and sharing this wonderful video of our 2019 March for the Oceans!
WORLD OCEANS WEEK
Thank you to everyone who helped us kick-off World Oceans Week
with our Blue screening
at the Rio on June 6th!
SINISTER SIX PLASTIC MITIGATION CAMPAIGN
We’re taking on contact lenses, single-use toiletry bottles, coffee pods, balloons, microfibers, and single-use water bottles which are polluting the Monterey Bay and filling our local landfills.
IT ALL BEGAN 40 YEARS AGO…
We’re celebrating four incredible decades of protecting the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Watch this video and hear from one of our founders, Kim Tschantz, about the creation of Save Our Shores in 1978.
STAY IN TOUCH
Featured photos by Kim Steinhardt, Edward Garner, and Amelia Olson