SAFE SOCIAL DISTANCING CLEANUPS
Safe Social Distancing Beach Cleanup Tips
Download our Beach Cleanup App and practice Safe Social Distancing Cleanup Guidelines...
In keeping with the state and county guidelines for preventing the spread of COVID-19, we have cancelled our public events and beach cleanups until further notice to protect our staff, our stewards, and our community at large. However, local and state officials still recommend that folks get outside to get exercise and fresh air, while also following safety precautions.
Scroll down to read important safety guidelines. It is essential that you follow these when going out for a cleanup.
You can conduct your own cleanups alone or with people you have been sheltering in place with! Neighborhood cleanups are a great outdoor activity for you and your family or your other quarantine buddies! (Please check your local, county, and state shelter in place updates before visiting beaches.)
Download our FREE Save Our Shores Marine Tally Beach Cleanup app (Apple, Google) onto your phone to collect important data about the items you find which will help with Save Our Shores’ pollution advocacy work
To protect your health and slow the spread of the coronavirus, you must comply with the following Safe, Social Distancing Cleanup guidelines:
- Do not invite people that you have not been quarantining with to join you.
- Maintain a social distance of at least 6ft from everyone you may encounter.
- ALWAYS wear disposable gloves and dispose of them immediately after your cleanup. To properly remove gloves, grab the glove opening near your wrist, and pull towards your fingers, thereby turning the glove inside out.
- Avoid touching any surfaces like railings, benches, etc.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Face masks are highly recommended when you’re out exercising and walking along the beach. Remember to maintain your distance even when using a face mask.
- Wash your hands thoroughly as soon as possible, and use hand sanitizer in the meantime if soap and water are unavailable.
- If you are sick in any way, DO NOT go out for a cleanup.
- Do not pick up sharp objects, especially syringes!
- Wear close-toed shoes to protect your feet from sharp objects.
- Be mindful of the local conditions (ie. high tide, sneaker wave warnings, etc.), and be careful near the water’s edge.
- Keep a safe distance from all wildlife!
- Unfortunately, we are finding used gloves, masks and other personal protective equipment that is improperly discarded. DO NOT PICK IT UP unless you have a grabber and a separate disposable bag in which to place these items.
Due to health and safety concerns, we are not able to provide you with our reusable cleanup supplies at this time. During the pandemic, use disposable gloves and trash bags to prevent the spread of germs.
Have fun and remember, safety first! Thank you for extending your care and compassion to our local beaches at this time! Stay healthy.
Save Our Shores is not asking anyone to do a cleanup at this time. If you do a cleanup, you are doing it at your own accord and personally accepting any and all risks.F