Clean up, create art, raise awareness, & win prizes!
Save Our Shores invites you to help raise awareness about the need to protect our ocean from single-use plastic bottles by creating recycled art that highlights the effects of plastic pollution in our oceans. Gather friends or family for a beach cleanup, then put your collected materials to good use by creating and entering a plastic pollution masterpiece by Wed, Nov 3rd!
With one million plastic beverage bottles sold every minute, plastic bottles and bottle caps have earned their rank as the third and fourth most littered items worldwide. These plastics are breaking down in our oceans and making their way into our food webs, and into our own bodies. It is estimated that humans ingest about a credit card’s worth of plastic every week! Additionally, the creation of these bottles is a huge contributor to global climate change, with 17 million barrels of oil being used every year to produce plastic water and soda bottles in the US alone.
(Click HERE to view an interactive timeline of how the Plastics Industry is trashing our planet)
CALL FOR ENTRIES
The Plastic Pollution Art Contest is open to artists and ocean-lovers of all ages.
About the Contest:
- Each artist may enter one or more pieces of artwork by uploading images and/or videos to our Plastic Pollution Digital Gallery by 11:00 pm on Wednesday, November 3rd.
- Digital gallery visitors are invited to ‘like’ their favorite entries.
- A team of Save Our Shores representatives will vote to award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners and honorable mentions.
- The theme is recycled art that highlights the effects of plastic bottle pollution in our oceans.
- Artwork can be created using the medium of your choice but should include plastic beverage bottles as a primary component of the design.
- Under 12
- 12-18 years
- 18 & over
The suggested fees for each entry are:
- FREE for Save Our Shores Sanctuary Sea Star Members and students (k-12 & college)(Sanctuary Sea Stars support Save Our Shores with monthly, recurring gifts of at least $10. Become a Sea Star member today to support Save Our Shores & enter the contest for FREE!)
- $5 for adults who are not Sea Star Members or professional artists
- $10 for professional artists who are not Sea Star Members
Payment of Entry Fees:
Once you have uploaded your entry or entries (scroll down for entry details & submission form), click on the payment button below to make the appropriate payment. Please choose “In Honor Of” in the text box and type “Plastic Pollution Art Contest” in the OR mail a check made our to “Save Our Shores” with “Plastic Pollution Art Contest” in the subject line to Save Our Shores, 345 Lake Avenue, Suite A, Santa Cruz, CA 95062. For artwork to be eligible for judging, entry fees must be received no later than Wednesday, November 3rd.
The Reception, Videos, and Promotions:
- Winning entries will be shared during our virtual Waves & Wildlife Photo Competition Celebration on Friday, November 5th from 6-8 pm and used to help promote our Single-Use Plastic Bottle Petition throughout Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties.
- We will also produce a short video of the award-winning entries which will be promoted on our webpage, YouTube channel, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- We will advertise the exhibit through social media to drive traffic to our website and the exhibit page.
- November 3, 2021 no later than 11:00 pm – Submission deadline.
- November 4, 2021 – Winners announced on website and through preferred form of contact.
- November 5, 2021, 6-8 pm – Waves & Wildlife Celebration including the presentation of the Plastic Pollution Art Contest Awards
- TBD – We will make arrangements for winning artworks to be delivered to the Save Our Shores office.
A few final things:
- The artist—by submitting their artwork—gives permission to Save Our Shores to display the artwork on our website, YouTube, Facebook, and other social media and will allow the use of your artwork for promotional purposes for the Single-Use Plastic Bottle Petition.
- By submitting your artwork and having it on display during our Waves & Wildlife Celebration and at Single-Use Plastic Bottle Petition signing sites, you agree to hold Save Our Shores harmless and to indemnify Save Our Shores against all claims resulting from losses.