Join the statewide effort to discover, record, and share observations of plants, seaweeds, and animals found along the California Coast during the month of December!
Getting started is a snap:
- Download the iNaturalist app for iPhone or Android
- Create an account to start making observations
- Join the Snapshot Cal Coast December 2020 project.
- Head to the coast on your own or with your family or quarantine bubble to make and share observations of plants and animals you see, especially species on our Most-Wanted list
- Observe during low tide: Reference this list of California low tides and NOAA’s tide table to find exact times for low tides near you
- Spread the word! Use hashtag #SnapshotCalCoast on social media
Always remember to follow the tidepooling best practices for your safety and the protection of seaweeds and animals:
- Never remove any animals or seaweeds.
- Take care to step on bare rock wherever possible.
- Never move animals from place to place.
- Never ‘roll’ rocks.
Important! Please follow all local laws and respect beach closures, physical distancing, and mask-wearing rules.