Moss Landing, CA 95039
Join Save Our Shores for a kayak cleanup on the Elkhorn Slough!
Please meet us at Kayak Connection in Moss Landing off of Highway 1, and arrive about 30 minutes early to ensure we can be on the water by 3pm.
There are restrooms available on site. Parking is limited, so please plan accordingly. Please note that prior experience kayaking in dynamic oceanic conditions is highly recommended.
Registration is required. We have a VERY limited number of spots for these events, so please only register if you are sure you can attend. All volunteers will be required to follow the Covid-19 safety instructions, detailed below.
Volunteers under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult (guardian) for the duration of the event (in the same kayak).
Every participant must complete a volunteer waiver as well as the Kayak Connection waiver which will be signed on site. We will have waivers available at the event, however, participants are encouraged to complete this paperwork in advance to save time and bring it with you on the day of the event. Anyone under the age of 18 will require a parent or guardian’s signature on both documents.
We recommend that all volunteers wear closed-toed shoes, dress in layers, wear sun protection, and bring a filled reusable water bottle. Save Our Shores encourages volunteers to avoid single-use plastics at our cleanups. Quick dry clothing or synthetic clothing is highly recommended, and cotton clothing of any kind is highly discouraged. Anything that should not get wet should remain in your car, and you can leave your car keys with Kayak Connection staff while we are out on the water.
All cleanup materials are provided, including buckets, grabbers, and gloves. Volunteers are also encouraged to bring their own. Kayaking materials including kayak, life jacket, and paddle, will be provided by Kayak Connection. We will be using open top double kayaks for this event (your legs will be exposed to the open air).
You can download the Save Our Shores Marine Tally App (Apple, Google) in advance of the cleanup and use it to record the debris you collect, or you can use the paper data cards that we will provide at the event.
Covid-19 Safety Instructions:
- Do not attend any Save Our Shores event if you are currently testing positive for Covid-19, experiencing known symptoms of Covid-19, or believe you have been exposed to Covid-19. If you have tested positive for COVID-19, you should complete a 5 day quarantine and receive a negative test result before attending an event.
- Participants should maintain a social distance of 6ft from others as much as possible.
- Participants should avoid touching surfaces, and don’t touch your face.
- Participants should wash your hands as soon as possible with soap and warm water. Use hand sanitizer until it is possible to wash your hands with soap and water.
- Gloves should be worn at all times while collecting debris. If you use reusable gloves, remove and wash them immediately. To remove gloves safely, pull glove off at your wrist and pull down toward your fingers to help turn the gloves inside out. Throw disposable gloves away immediately after use.
- Participants should not pick up Personal Protective Equipment unless you can do so safely with a grabber.
- Data may be collected using mobile applications to prevent the exchange of materials between event facilitators and participants.
If you have additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you to Kayak Connection for supporting this event and graciously providing kayaks for our volunteers!