740 Front St #110
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Volunteer and make a difference in the San Lorenzo River ecosystem!
Join the Coastal Watershed Council, Yoso Wellness Spa, Hotel Paradox and Save Our Shores for our February River Health Day and plant and maintain native seedlings along the banks of the San Lorenzo River to increase biodiversity and revitalize the river ecosystem, and pick up trash and litter from the Riverwalk.
This event will kick off at Yoso Wellness Spa, located in the Galleria in downtown Santa Cruz. Volunteers can choose to join the restoration activities to plant new native plants, or join the cleanup team to pick up trash and litter from the Riverwalk. Following the activities at the San Lorenzo River, all volunteers are invited to Hotel Paradox to celebrate the day’s accomplishments poolside with a volunteer appreciation happy hour!
We recommend that all volunteers dress in comfortable gardening clothes, including long pants, socks and sturdy closed-toe shoes. Bring layers, sun protection and a reusable water bottle. Gloves, tools and light refreshments will be provided.
All ages and abilities welcome. Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Call (831) 464 9200 x104, or email CWC River Ecologist Kaiya Giuliano-Monroy with any questions before the event. Please register for this event!
Volunteers under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult.
All cleanup materials are provided, including trash bags, grabbers, and disposable gloves. Volunteers are also encouraged to bring their own.
You can download the Save Our Shores Marine Tally App (Apple, Google) in advance of the cleanup and use it to record the debris you collect, or you can use the paper data cards that we will provide at the event.
Covid Safety Instructions:
- Participants must maintain a social distance of 6ft from others at all times.
- Participants must wear a face mask or face covering when interacting with participants.
- Participants should avoid touching surfaces, and don’t touch your face.
- Participants should wash your hands as soon as possible with soap and warm water. Use hand sanitizer until it is possible to wash your hands with soap and water.
- Disposable supplies may be used instead of reusables to prevent the spread of germs.
- Gloves should be worn at all times. If you use reusable gloves, remove and wash them immediately. To remove gloves safely, pull glove off at your wrist and pull down toward your fingers to help turn the gloves inside out. Throw gloves away immediately after use.
- Participants should not pick up Personal Protective Equipment unless you can do so safely with a grabber.
- Data may be collected using mobile applications to prevent the exchange of materials between event facilitators and participants.