Classroom Education Programs
Our Marine Debris Classroom Education Program teaches marine conservation and watershed stewardship with a focus on coastal processes, marine debris and marine ecosystems. This program provides students with an interactive and fun learning environment that promotes a sense of wonder, empowerment, and connection to the ocean and our watersheds.
Presentations can be scheduled for classrooms, after school programs, or extra-curricular programs. To schedule a classroom or field visit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please schedule your visits at least one month in advance. SOS presenters can bring laptops and LCD projectors if these technologies aren't available at your school.
The Marine Debris Classroom Education Program Includes:
1. Interactive educational activities and presentations teach students the fundamentals of ocean concepts such as food webs, ecosystem functions, watersheds, and marine debris. Presentations are usually classroom based while activities are suitable for the beach or the classroom.
2. Field components give students a chance to add a different context to concepts learned in the classroom. Field components are a great hands-on way for students to feel motivated and empowered to help keep our marine environment healthy.
3. Educational resources for teachers and educators add more depth to SOS classroom visits. Supplementary videos and activities can be checked out from SOS free of charge.
We believe a student's experience is enhanced when teachers combine options from the above multiple categories.
SOS has been working with the Santa Cruz County Office of Education to become a member of the Education and the Environment Initiative.
> Monarch School students waiting to speak at a Santa Cruz City Council meeting in support of a ban on single-use plastic bags
> A group of beach cleanup kids enjoying a little break from their sunny beach cleanup
> Students join SOS for storm drain stenciling fun
> Students learn about the marine environment aboard the Narwhal Bayliss
- Monthly Beach Cleanups
- Private & School Cleanups
- Adopt-a-Beach Cleanups
- Meet the Beach Adopters
- Earth Day
- July 4th & 5th
- Annual Coastal Cleanup Day
- Cleanup Calendar
Special Projects & Internships
- To Volunteer for Special Projects or inquire about Internships, email email@example.com