Get your cameras out, it’s time for our 2nd Annual Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest! You like snapping beautiful photos of scenic places and majestic wildlife along the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary’s network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) and we want to see them.*
DID YOU KNOW
There are 29 Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) within the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.* If you’ve ever visited a State Beach in Santa Cruz or Monterey County, chances are you’ve already visited one. MPAs are State or National Parks that manage the resources of fragile, unique and ecologically significant coastal areas. Still, the majority of people who visit these precious “underwater parks” are unaware of their significance. That’s where our Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest comes in… we want to inspire people to learn more about Marine Protected Areas by using the power of social media.
Whether you’re bird watching at Elkhorn Slough, surfing with whales outside of Natural Bridges, diving through kelp forests at Point Lobos, hiking to Point Sur’s historical lighthouse, or dodging giant elephant seals as they compete for territory at Año Nuevo, there are so many MPAs to capture the experience with a camera. So head on over to your favorite Marine Protected Area, get inspired, then send us your best photos!
Every year, Save Our Shores partners with the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Exploration Center to exhibit the best of our Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest for an entire month! The exhibit draws thousands of visitors, media attention and community support. But wait! That’s not all…
- CONTEST WINNER: Premier Monterey Bay Whale Watching Tour for 4, feature cover photo poster and calendar sent to all of our supporters and community partners, 40% off certificates to Patagonia plus a bunch of awesome Patagonia schwag, Save Our Shores featured photographer!
- CONTEST HONORABLE MENTION: 40% off certificates to Patagonia plus a bunch of awesome Patagonia schwag, Save Our Shores featured calendar photographer!
- CONTEST POST-OF-THE-WEEK: Highlight post on our social media and contest partner social media channels
Best of 2016 Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest
Best of 2016 Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest Winner and Honorable Mentions include: Edward Garner- Justin Hofman- Erik Landry- Kyrod Myatt- Molly McCorkell- Vivienne Orgel- Jody Parker- Joe Plakto- Irene Reti- Kimberly Saxton-Heinrichs- Kim Steinhardt- Laurel Teague
Edward F. Ricketts State Marine Conservation Area[img src=http://saveourshores.org/wp-content/flagallery/best-of-2016-waves-wildlife-photo-contest/thumbs/thumbs_reti-ano-elephant.jpg]2021Elephant Seal Pup and Mother by Irene Reti
Ano Nuevo State Marine Reserve[img src=http://saveourshores.org/wp-content/flagallery/best-of-2016-waves-wildlife-photo-contest/thumbs/thumbs_garner-elkhorn-egret.jpg]1901Egret Takes Flight by Edward Garner
Elkhorn Slough National Estuary Research Reserve[img src=http://saveourshores.org/wp-content/flagallery/best-of-2016-waves-wildlife-photo-contest/thumbs/thumbs_plakto-lobos-lions-sm.jpg]1883Sea Lions Swarm by Joe Platko
Point Lobos State Marine Reserve[img src=http://saveourshores.org/wp-content/flagallery/best-of-2016-waves-wildlife-photo-contest/thumbs/thumbs_saxton-otter-edward-ricketts.jpg]1730Sea Otter plays in the Kelp by Kimberly Heinrichs-Saxton
Edward F. Ricketts State Marine Conservation Area[img src=http://saveourshores.org/wp-content/flagallery/best-of-2016-waves-wildlife-photo-contest/thumbs/thumbs_orgel-ano-seaweed-sm.jpg]1822Seaweeds Dance by Vivienne Orgel
Ano Nuevo State Marine Reserve
*RULES & SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We make our photo sharing contest easy for you. Whether you’ve already taken a few inspiring photos at your favorite Monterey Bay MPA destination this year or are about to begin next weekend, let us know. Any and all of your landscape, underwater and marine life photos are important to us! The only thing you have to do is submit your photos following the Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest rules:
- Whether you’re using your phone or your trusty camera, submit your photos using #MPAmondays on your social media on Monday (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and then send your photos to email@example.com with #MPAmondays in the subject line. Don’t forget to tell us your name and what Marine Protected Area your photos were captured at.
- Note: Save Our Shores Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest is open to both amateur and professional photographers. All photos will be reviewed by a panel of judges. We may contact you with further questions.
- Submit as many photos as you would like! Send them as a JPEG or PNG file.
- Note: If you are submitting more than one photo, please attach them as a JPEG or PNG in the same email with a total file size limit of 25MB, multiple email bundles are accepted. Zipped or compressed files are not recommended for security reasons, and could be rejected by our email server.
- Photos MUST be taken at one of the 29 Marine Protected Areas* within the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary to qualify. Check out our interactive MPA map HERE or you can find a static MPA Boundary Map HERE.
- Note: Photos must be taken at a designated MPA. Photos taken within the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, but not at a designated MPA do not qualify.
- **Note: Technically there are 46 MPAs within the MBNBS. For the purposes of the Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest, we are focusing on the 29 State MPA designations. There are two main types of State managed MPAs in the Sanctuary, State Marine Reserves (SMRs) and State Marine Conservation Areas (SMCAs). For more information regarding these specially designated areas, please visit our MPA page HERE.
- All photos will be properly credited and remain property of original artist.
- By submitting your photos, you grant Save Our Shores the permission to share your photos on our website and social media. Winning photos may be used in Save Our Shores publications.
- Contest runs from March 1, 2017 to May 31, 2017. Submissions received after May 31, 2017 will not be accepted. Winners will be announced mid-June, 2017 so that you have plenty of time to explore and capture each unique MPA.
COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION TO THE MAX!
With major support from the Resources Legacy Fund, The Waves & Wildlife Photo Contest is brought to you by #MPAmondays, a Save Our Shores project to increase Marine Protected Area awareness. Help us spread the word by taking and sharing inspiring photos of Monterey Bay’s invaluable network of MPAs using #MPAmondays every Monday. All submitted photos must be original and owned by submitter (i.e. your own work). Photos must be taken at a Marine Protected Area to qualify. All photos will be properly credited and remain property of original artist. By submitting your photos, you grant Save Our Shores the permission to share photos on our website and social media as the organization sees fit. Winning photos may be used in Save Our Shores publications. Winners will be announced in June of 2017. For questions regarding the contest, contact firstname.lastname@example.org